The remains of the last survivor of the many coaching inns in the area. The oldest part was rebuilt in 1677 after the Southwark fire. There are tables in the yard for summer and inside are bare floorboards and scrubbed wooden tables. The separate bars and rooms on several floors add interest. The George is owned by the National Trust so can be a bit ‘touristy’. There is a heated sin-bin for smokers. In CAMRA’s National Inventory of Pub Interiors of Outstanding Historic Importance. Latest check 28 March 2017.
Southwark SE1 1NH